Effective communication plays a vital role in cultivating healthy relationships, both in professional and personal settings. As someone who has experienced the benefits of good communication firsthand, I’ve compiled some invaluable tips that can help you too. Discover how to enhance your communication skills at work and in your personal life with these valuable insights.
1. The “Drive-Thru” Communication Method:
- I say the specifics of my order.
- The cashier repeats back what they think I said.
- I either confirm the order or adjust it.
- The cashier repeats the order again with the adjustment.
- Got it!
We could avoid countless problems in our workplaces, our homes, and our relationships if we simply tore a page from Wendy’s. What you said = what was heard. How can you implement the “drive-thru” communication method in your next conversation?
2. Feeling email overload? Let me share with you my tried and true email communication method. After three “reply all” messages, it’s time to stop the thread and set up a call with all involved parties. Remember to send an agenda and attach any relevant documents for review. By doing so, we can prevent any surprises and minimize problems. Plus, if anyone claims they didn’t receive important information, we have a paper trail to prove otherwise.
What’s your email communication process?
3. To become a better communicator, ask yourself a few simple questions:
- Who needs to know?
- Whom will this information affect?
Before you initiate communication, decide on what you need or want to convey:
- Do I need help with a decision I need to make?
- Do I just want to let you know and keep you informed?
Take action: Ask yourself these simple questions before your next communication.